Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Chicago, Chicago!

As we got nearer to Chicago on the highway, Nellie (the truck) noticed a LandRover Dealership and begged to get off the highway and go for a visit! We did of course. She loved it.


When we arrived in Chicago last night, for our "Chicago Surprise" our friends Marty and Alysa treated us to a ridiculous hotel room in downtown Chicago which couldn't be more fantastic! It has an incredible view of the lake and is so luxurious!

All of this and a bag of chips! They had also left for us a bag at the front desk with a fresh beautiful red rose, a bottle of champagne and a bag of Lindt truffles! Outrageous! :-D (We didn't realize this until we returned from dinner and dessert, so we are saving them, well at least the champagne for tomorrow.)
*********

We landed for a while, I finished my book and took a brief nap and then we ironed all of our clothes that have been crinkled up in the bottom of our backpacks and hit the town. Went to the Signature Room restaurant on the 95th floor of the John Hancock Building. A serious dining experience. Coat and tie optional. But they did request that everyone order an entree. When I learned this I began started to seriously pout. I had found several appetizers that I wanted and not an entree. Thankfully, Dave asked if they would make an exception and it wasn't a problem. :-) We had a wonderful dinner followed by wonderful dessert and took a horse and carriage ride most of the way back to our hotel! It was so great. They guy driving the carriage was pretty young and had been working there for 6 years. He told us that this was his last season, he was going to be a knight.

Oh.

He was well informed about the history and the architecture of the different buildings we passed and told us of underground passages and Al Capone's secret bars during prohibition etc. the carriage ride was so great! I was in heaven.

I am not sure what today will bring. I think Dave is going to stay right under the covers! He is ignoring me trying to wake him up. I don't blame him either- it is so comfortable.

No comments: